Friday, November 18, 2016

Trying Oil Painting

Lately I'm feeling a bit frustrated in painting with acrylic, it just dries so fast. Mixing paints is a challenge and  working faster is the way to go but sometimes you just want to work a little slow and focus on your painting. Because of that one characteristic of acrylic, I thought I wanna try oil but seriously I have no idea what materials and medium to use and how to go about painting with it.

It was suggested for beginners to try oil paint sets, just to get accustomed with it. I'm actually eyeing two as they are both cheap (about $10 or less) and readily available in our local store (Deovir Art Supplies). The Talens Art Creation and Nevskaya Palitra Sonnet, both are from reputable brands although of different grades. Art Creation is considered craft/student grade while Sonnet is artist grade.





Both are lightfast (albeit from few colors) and have very good color choices in case you want to buy tubes individually.

Talens Art Creation

Nevskaya Palitra Sonnet

Now, with oil painting they said that you'll also need oil mediums and turpentine or mineral spirits. I guess I'll just get me some linseed oil and turpentine which are inexpensive but of good quality since I'm just a beginner. These ones look good and are also available in Deovir:



 I'll just update you guys when I get a hold of these things and what I think of oil painting, whether or not it meets my expectation.

No comments: