Saturday, October 8, 2016

My Watercolor Materials





As promised, here's the stuff I use for watercolor painting. I use 3 brands for my paints as recommended to me and depending on the pigments and price :) as well; namely, holbein which is an artist grade, winsor and newton cotman and talens van gogh which are student grade. All have very vibrant colors but I can tell that holbein has more pigment by its consistency.

List of colors I use:

VG Azo Yellow Light (PY154)
VG Permanent Red Light (PR254)
C Alizarin Crimson Hue (PR206)
C Ultramarine Blue (PB29)
C Pthalo Blue (PB15)
H Raw Sienna (PY43)
C Burnt Sienna (PR101)
VG Pthalo Green (PG7)
H Ivory Black (Pbk9)

I actually wanna add some more paints; cerulean blue, quinacridone rose, neutral tint, cobalt green and particularly holbein's perylene maroon that is almost brownish in color, which I really love upon seeing it. I think it's a versatile and great mixer.

The palette I have is made of plastic from the Sakura brand . I had to prep the surface though by using a sanding paper so the colors won't puddle.

The brushes are taklon nylon which is perfect for small and detailed works. You'll need a mop brush though for bigger washes, I ordered neptune princeton brushes for that.


For now, I'm just using Canson 200 gsm watercolor which is good for practice but it easily buckles with wet on wet applications. I'm planning to try montval, strathmore 400 or mont marte which are all 300 gsm.

That's about it hope you learned something!

Stores I bought my materials from:
Deovir Taklon nylon brushes, holbein and van gogh paints: Deovir Art Supplies Philippines
Hans nylon brushes: The Oil Paint Store
Cotman paints, canson paper: National Bookstore
Sakura watercolor palette: Pens Galore Philippines
Princeton Neptune brushes: Jackson's Art Supplies (has free shipment for brushes worldwide)



No comments: