Monday, October 17, 2016

Sakura Koi and Micron Pen Review

I first bought this Sakura Koi 18 watercolor so I could use something as a palette and maybe practice a bit with color mixing. I had it second hand and the previous owner exchanged the waterbrush with a smaller one, hmmmph!


with detachable mixing palette

Anyways, I thought the colors are quite vibrant, easy to wet although not as transparent and a little bit chalky especially when layered. I made a chart that I keep inside just to be reminded of the colors.


I practiced with it a bit and I think the colors lose its vibrancy when mixed and layered but still give out a decent finish. Here are some of my works:



I think it shines with simple line and wash and maybe with urban sketching and wet in wet applications. For this I tried sketching with 01 and 03 sakura micron pens and putting on simple washes.




I think this is perfect for hobbyists and beginners alike but if you're considering getting serious in watercolor, you should try cotman or van gogh which are both student grade.

For the second half of the review, the sakura micron pens are nice for sketching and line and wash as they are water-proof and archival. I bought 4 sizes:


and this is how they look when applied:


I like the 005 and 01 for sketching, they are not too thick and it feels comfortable using them. If you like darkening your work or having heavier strokes, 03 and 08 will be good for the job.

That's about it, hope you enjoy my review!

No comments: